The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Nostalgia Time

Today Diane and I will drive 240 miles from Cape Cod to Larchmont, NY where we will enjoy a midday meal with a bunch of men who attended grade school with me. We all went to St. Augustine School in Larchmont, graduating from the 8th grade in 1958. Sadly, St. Augustine's is no more. The school closed in 1976, a few years after the Dominican Sisters of Newburgh left.

I haven't seen many of these old classmates since we graduated. Some went on to one of the many Catholic high schools in Westchester County at that time, while others attended one of the local public high schools. I'm not sure how many will be there today, but I expect to enjoy myself.
St. Augustine School as it looked in the 40s and 50s

It's not so much a reunion as an impromptu gathering suggested by a couple of classmates and put together via email. Some are actually flying in from elsewhere in the country. I only wish some of the "girls" in our class had been invited. We had some real cuties in the class of '58.

Anyway, we will all meet at Augie's Italian Restaurant on the Boston Post Road in Larchmont, where I trust the food will live up to its fine reputation. I'll let you know in a day or two.

God's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment