The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quiet Bishops

The president has taken another shot across the bow of the Catholic Church. Recently, in a speech to a homosexual rights group, he declared, "You will see a time in which we as a nation finally recognize relationships between two men or two women as just as real and admirable as relationships between a man and a woman."

The president then went on to state: "I support ensuring that committed gay couples have the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple in this country. I believe strongly in stopping laws designed to take rights away and passing laws that extend equal rights to gay couples. I've required all agencies in the federal government to extend as many federal benefits as possible to LCBT families as the current law allows. And I've called on Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and to pass the Domestic Partners Benefits and Obligations Act. And we must all stand together against divisive and deceptive efforts to feed people's lingering fears for political and ideological gain".

Did you notice his reference to the "so-called Defense of Marriage Act"? I trust our bishops have noticed it as well. Unfortunately they haven't said anything about President Obama's call for the act's repeal. You would think someone in the USCCB would speak up and say, "No way, Mr. President."

I have a feeling we'll be waiting a while before we finally hear some cautiously expressed opposing views accompanied by mild hand-wringing.

I noticed in today's news that some English anthropologist claims modern man is a wimp compared with those who have gone before us. I suspect he's right and for proof we need only listen to the silence that greets so much of the strangeness emanating from the White House these days.

Click here to read Deacon Keith Fournier's comments on this issue. Deacon Keith is another of those very smart people I listen to.

Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment