The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Musicians: Among My Favorites

A little break from the usual today, a little taste of what makes being so good. God blesses certain people with extraordinary talents and together they are able to produce some wonderful things.

I've been a fan of the Modern Jazz Quartet since I bought my first album of theirs in 1962. Subsequently I had the opportunity to see and hear them in person several times in DC and New York clubs where one is up close and personal, certainly more so than in the larger concert venues. Their music is remarkable and nobody ever came close to the virtuosity of Milt Jackson on the vibes.

The quartet had its origins with the Dizzy Gillespie Orchestra back in the late 1940s, and began playing together as a quartet in the early 1950s. They continued together for over 40 years, releasing their last record in 1993. Connie Kay died in 1994, Milt Jackson in 1999, John Lewis in 2001, and Percy Heath in 2005, and so all of the MJQ -- John Lewis (piano and musical director), Milt Jackson (vibraphone), Percy Heath (bass), and Connie Kay (drums) -- are gone now. But their music lives on.

So here's a sample of the MJQ's music, two of their classic pieces, Bag's Groove and Django. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment