The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ralph McInerny's International Catholic University

As the few, loyal readers of this blog know, Dr. Ralph McInerny -- philosopher, theologian, multi-discipline scholar, best-selling novelist, poet, and Professor Emeritus at the University of Notre Dame -- died on January 29 at the age of 80. Dr. McInerny led a remarkably full life, a life marked by many significant achievements. In addition to his many books, one achievement will remain with us long after his death. Dr. McInerny was the founder of the International Catholic University (ICU), a wonderful organization that offers a wide variety of self-study courses, plus two graduate degree programs, all designed for today's busy Catholic. I have taken a few of the self-study courses myself, and found the faculty and the course materials to be excellent. ICU also offers two accredited "distance studies" masters degree programs, in theology and philosophy, which are administered by the graduate school at Holy Apostles Seminary in Cromwell, CT. Perhaps if I can open up some free time in my busy life, I might just apply for one of these programs. After all, it's never too late to learn.

If you are interested, click here to read about ICU and its offerings.

I have included below a brief video made by Dr. McInerny, in which he discusses ICU and its mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment