The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Yesterday & Tomorrow

Our annual diaconal retreat was wonderful! Deacon Bill Ditewig, an old friend and a wonderful teacher, conducted the retreat. Deacon Bill teaches and directs the theology graduate program at St. Leo University here in Florida. His talks during our weekend retreat focused on the deacon and the Mass, and placed particular emphasis on the spirituality of the deacon's vocation of worship. Although I suppose I already knew most of the basic information Bill provided, his insights and ability to integrate that information with other elements of the deacon's ministry gave me a renewed appreciation of the deacon's role in the liturgy. I only wish we had been able to spend more time with him.

Tomorrow Diane and I head north to visit our children and grandchildren in Massachusetts. We have a new grandchild arriving any day now, a beautiful reason to celebrate. We are also going to participate in the funeral Mass for my brother, Jeff, and then inter him with our parents in Chatham, Mass. And so the joy of the trip will be mixed with sadness. But I am thrilled that Jeff's elder son, Marshall, will be attending the funeral. Marshall will fly up from his home in a very remote section of Costa Rica. My grown children are excited about once again spending some time with their cousin whom they haven't seen in many years.

Of course, my biggest concern regarding this trip relates to the weather. Leaving Florida for the frigid north, especially when another blizzard-like storm is predicted to hit over the next few days, is not something I would normally do. Only a new baby and a funeral could motivate me to make such a trip. Just my luck, Massachusetts will probably get hit with another two-feet of snow just as we arrive. Ah, well, I lived with snow and cold for most of my life. I suppose I can handle another few weeks of it.
Two feet of snow
Some recent polling statistics on Catholics. Here's some data that might depress you a bit, so if you'd like to remain bright and cheery, I suggest you read no further.

The Knights of Columbus and Marist College just released the results of a survey that focused on the age-group called American Millennials; i.e., young adults aged 18 to 29. According to the results of their extensive survey...

  • 85% of Catholic Millennials (those 18-29) believe in God.
  • 66% of Catholic Millennials say abortion is morally wrong, while 63% say the same of euthanasia.
  • 82% of Catholic Millennials see morals as “relative.” The majority of practicing Catholics (54%) disagree.
If you want to read more, detailed results are available in a PDF PowerPoint file here: American Millennials. And if you don't want to read more, I don't blame you.

Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment