The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Women in the Early and Medieval Church

Régine Pernoud (1909-1998) was a French historian and medievalist who wrote some wonderful books aimed at the general reader. We are especially fortunate that Ignatius Press has been reprinting some of these books, making them available in English translation. I especially enjoyed reading Those Terrible Middle Ages: Debunking the Myths and The Templars: Knights of Christ, two books that provide the reader with a more fair and balanced (and honest) view of what life was really like during those remarkable centuries. Although I have not yet read any, I am told that her books on St. Joan of Arc are particularly good.

I have just finished reading another of her books, Women in the Days of the Cathedrals, also published by Ignatius but, unfortunately, now out of print. It is available, however, via some of Amazon's third-party sellers and I am sure used copies can be obtained via such used book resellers as abebooks and alibris. I recently picked up  my copy at my favorite Catholic book and gift shop, Sullivan's, on Main Street in Hyannis, Massachusetts.

It is a fascinating and surprising book, one that details the critical and largely underreported role of women in both Church and society during the Middle Ages. Indeed, it depicts women during this era as enjoying far higher status and wielding more influence in society than ever before and, in some ways, than at any time since. The book is filled with marvelous revelations, large and small, about the Middle Ages and those who lived during these interesting times, bits of information and profiles of remarkable personalities that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else in popular historical literature. I truly enjoyed the book and especially recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment