The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Father Thomas Dubay, S.M. - Requiescat in pace

A few moments ago I learned that Father Thomas Dubay has died. This remarkable and holy priest had been in ill health for some time and had been cared for by the Little Sisters of the Poor in Washington, D.C. He returned to the Father last Sunday, September 26. He was 88 years old.

I never met Father Dubay, but feel as if I have known him for years. And it's all because of his wonderful writings, books that are guaranteed to change those who read them. For example, I have read and reread his book, Happy Are You Poor, so many times that not long ago I had to order a new copy to replace the tattered paperback I'd literally worn out. It's one of those books that challenges you to accept the Gospel in its fullness and will lead you to question virtually every aspect of modern life. Like another challenging book, The Gospel Without Compromise by the late Catherine de Hueck Doherty, Father's Dubay's book will cause you to reevaluate your understanding of poverty and what it means to be poor in spirit.

I don't know how many  books Father Dubay wrote, but I have a few in my modest library, including:

Each is well worth reading. Of course, even if you have never read his books, you may have "met" Father Dubay through his TV shows on EWTN, which is actually how I first encountered him many years ago.

We will miss this wonderful priest, but pray that he is now resting in the Father's loving embrace.

You can read his obituary on his publisher's (Ignatius Press) website here and on ETWN's website here.

God's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment