The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Verbum Domini and more

For all of you Bible Study folks out there and for all others who seek God's truth in His Word, here's a another wonderful document from the Vatican. As you might recall, in 2008, the Pauline Year, Pope Benedict XVI hosted a synod on the Word of God to address the Church's commitment to the centrality of the Word of God in the life of the Church. As a continuation of the synod's work. Pope Benedict XVI has recently published a Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation entitled, "Verbum Domini" ("The Word of the Lord") which addresses the Word of God in the life and mission of the Church. It was presented to the faithful in early November 2010 by the Holy See Press Office.

(Now here's a little piece of irony for you...I didn't realize it had been published because I was away from home when the announcement was made by the Vatican Press Office and didn't really check the usual Church websites during my absence. Where was I? On a vacation in Spain and Italy. Indeed, I was probably in Rome when the announcement was made. Fortunately, one of my Bible Study participants mentioned it to me the other day, so I was able to locate it and pass it along here.)

Like all documents published by the Holy See, Verbum Domini is available online at the Vatican's website. You can also download it in pdf format. Because I simply prefer my reading material in standard book format, I purchased a copy online via Amazon. Click here to check it out.

Another excellent book, containing a few of the Holy Father's more important writings on Holy Scripture, is God's Word: Scripture - Tradition - Office, published in 2008 by Ignatius Press. Pope Benedict, of course, is a theologian and unless he is writing specifically for regular folks like you and me, he writes in a theologian's language. Don't let this deter you from reading his work, though. As I often do, you might find it challenging and need to take it slowly as you work your way through his writings and come to an understanding of his thinking. But, I can assure you, it will be worth it.

Ignatius Press has performed a wonderful service to the English-speaking world by publishing so much of Pope Benedict's work. If you have never read any of the pope's writings, just take a few moments to browse through his books listed on their website and choose one that piques your interest. (Click here to view a page listing all of his books published by Ignatius.) One you have read him, I promise you will come back for more.

Another publication -- or more accurately, series of publications -- is published by Dr. Scott Hahn's St. Paul Center for Bible Theology. It's a journal entitled Letter and Spirit, is published annually by the Center, and is filled with articles and papers by some of the best of the Church's scriptural scholars, both past and present. Each annual volume has a specific theme addressed by the contributors. So far five volumes have been published:

  • Letter & Spirit, Volume 1, 2005, Reading Salvation
  • Letter & Spirit, Volume 2, 2006, The Authority of Mystery
  • Letter & Spirit, Volume 3, 2007, The Hermeneutic of Continuity
  • Letter & Spirit, Volume 4, 2008, Temple and Contemplation
  • Letter & Spirit, Volume 5, 2009, Liturgy and Empire
You can purchase them individually on the St. Paul Center's website: click here.

God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment