The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dear Diane

It's 6:30 a.m. and Diane and I are in a pre-op waiting room of sorts...and we're certainly waiting. Dear Diane will undergo outpatient surgery this morning and, we hope, return home this afternoon. I will sit in the surgery waiting room, pray Morning Prayer, roam the halls, drink coffee in the hospital cafeteria, finish reading Macbeth on the iPad, and just try to stay busy because I really dislike waiting in hospitals.

I will say one thing: everyone we have met at this hospital is very pleasant and helpful, traits that are not always apparent in hospitals where bureaucracy can sometimes trump common sense and common decency. A squad of three nurses just spent a half-hour poking, prodding, and wiring Diane in readiness for her procedure. They were terrific and helped eased our concerns, especially Diane's. So all is well, and we have turned it over to God.

It's now almost 8:30 a.m. and we're still waiting. It seems Diane will be her surgeon's second procedure of the day, so we will continue to wait patiently. There is, after all, no alternative. But I am hungry, having skipped breakfast this morning. I think I'll do most of my waiting in the cafeteria.

9:00 a.m. -- They must be getting ready to take Diane since they just hooked her up to a monitor that beeps constantly in time with her heartbeat -- a little auditory torture while we wait. They also inserted some of the anesthesiologist's happy juice in her IV so I expect she'll soon be sound asleep.

Keep her in your prayers...more later.

Thank God for doctors, nurses and all those wonderful healers.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ocala, Florida, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment