The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Back Home Again

Dear Diane and I returned home last Tuesday evening after being away for almost six weeks. If you're an occasional reader of this blog you will have noticed that I posted very little during our absence. I find it a distinct challenge to blog when I'm away from home, especially when I'm traveling almost every day. I leave home with the best of intentions, planning to post something every day or so, but then reality and exhaustion set in. Each evening I find myself returning to our hotel room with one thought in mind:
sleep.

We had a terrific time though. We spent a little more than two weeks visiting our children and grandchildren in Massachusetts -- a true joy for Diane and me. And then we flew to Dublin, Ireland, ostensibly to attend the Navy-Notre Dame football game (We won't discuss the score of that contest.), but really to enjoy a two-week visit in the land of all my ancestors.

Joined by our dear, old friends, Nancy and Dave Lee, we spent several days in Dublin, then drove west to see the sights. We stayed in castles, hotels, guest houses, and B&Bs. We sampled the seafood and the stout...and an occasional Irish whiskey. We saw crystal being made in Waterford and pewter being made in Mullingar. We marveled at the ancient sites that seem to arise out of nowhere in the most unlikely places. Ireland is a remarkably beautiful country populated by friendly, helpful people.

As usual I took well over a thousand photos with my trusty Canon Digital Rebel SLR. This afternoon I uploaded some of them to my Flickr.com account. If you're interested, you can view a slide show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deacondana/8020072068/in/set-72157631615981424/lightbox/

After returning to Boston we spent a few days in Newport, RI to celebrate my birthday, then drove to White Plains, NY to attend my 50th high school reunion at Archbishop Stepinac High School. Once again, the wrong team won the football game, but it mattered little. Indeed, I enjoyed the weekend so much I intend to take in the 100th reunion when the time comes.

...a busy but extremely pleasant time, and as always there's no place like home.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment