The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fr. Barron on Garry Wills

Garry Willa
Garry Wills, one of those professional non-Catholic Catholics who likes nothing about the Church and so wants to change every aspect of it, has written another book: Why Priests? A Failed Tradition. This time he takes on the Catholic priesthood and while doing so hammers away at Sacred Scripture, 2,000 years of Tradition, and even the divinity of Christ. Unless at some point he undergoes a conversion -- and nothing is impossible with God -- Wills will no doubt eventually leave the Church. I suspect he's already left it, but just doesn't know it.

I was handed a copy of the book a few days ago and it was so bad, so riddled with error, I couldn't put it down. I had intended to offer my thoughts on the book here in this blog, but then I came across a video review by one of my favorite priests, Fr. Robert Barron. His comments are far more penetrating than anything I could offer. If you take 15 minutes and watch the video, you can save yourself the cost of the book.


As a brief postscript, I just noticed that this is my 1,000th post since beginning this blog back in 2008. I'm not sure if that's at all meaningful. I suspect not.

And while I'm focused on Fr. Barron, here's his first video report from Rome. Interesting stuff...




No comments:

Post a Comment