The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Prayer for Happy Employment

Here in The Villages, our large retirement community in Florida, only a few residents are actually seeking employment, usually part-time jobs to supplement their retirement income. But given the state of the economy elsewhere, the situation is quite different. When a family's breadwinner is unemployed, the effect on the family can be devastating. Hardly a week goes by when I am not asked to pray for someone's adult child who is out of work and seeking employment.

This morning, while browsing on a couple of favorite sites, I came across the following prayer to St. Juan Diego and decided to share it with you. I especially like its focus on "happy" employment, because the work one does should be both rewarding and enjoyable. In my own life I have been blessed with satisfying and meaningful work, and pray that others may experience the same.

I found this prayer on Andrew Cusack's blog. Please share it with those in need of work.

Prayer to St. Juan Diego

for Happy Employment

Dear Juan Diego, when the Lady of Tepeyac Hill gave you her picture, she also gave you a task to fill your days with happy labor. It was your privilege and joy to spend the hours caring for the chapel of the Tilma, telling its story to those who came there. Here the time of your earthly pilgrimage passed quickly and happily because you worked for Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Dear Juan Diego, please help me find steady employment that my time and talent may be devoted to the tasks suited to my nature and ability.
May my hours of toil then, give fair return and more to him who hires me. May my work not be done for mere profit, or just to make a living. Rather, may it be done to make of myself, one more able to honor the Creator. May it be done with reverence and appreciation of the materials, all supplied by God, and only modified by man. May my work be done to enjoy the benefits of skilled and honest craftmanship.
And especially let my work be done to make known and lead others to love the same Lady you serve so well. Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment