The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Venom of Foes



As a Navy pilot during the war in Vietnam I'd sometimes be greeted with obscenities and hate-filled looks in airports or on American streets. It never really bothered me very much. When I considered the source of all that hatred, these attacks became to me a badge of honor. And I'd also recall Winston Churchill's famous words, "The venom of a man's enemies is a measure of his strength."

I find myself recalling these same words whenever I hear one of our politicians or media elitists or leftist ideologues attack the Church, something that occurs with increasing frequency and intensity these days. Do they really see the Catholic Church as a serious threat to their agenda? I think I can safely say they wouldn't waste all that venom if they didn't recognize the Church's inherent strength. They might not understand or accept the source of that strength, but they cannot ignore its real and abiding presence over 2,000 years of history...and it bothers the heck out of them.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment