The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Oops! Our Best Laid Plans

The other day Diane and I had decided to take one day a week and together go somewhere interesting and do something we both enjoy. Yesterday, our first attempt at this new venture in retirement living, took us to Lakeland, Florida.

Sadly our trip to Lakeland didn't turn out quite as expected. The one-way trip is a bit less than 100 miles and as soon as we arrived we found a local restaurant and enjoyed a very nice seafood lunch. After eating we drove the few additional blocks to the Polk Museum of Art, the primary reason for our trip. But when we walked up to the main door, we discovered the museum was closed. It was 1:15 and we had expected it to open at 1 p.m. since that was the time listed on their website. But right there on the door was a handwritten sign informing us that the museum is closed on Sundays during June, July and August. Arrggggh!

We were a bit miffed but it wasn't a total loss. We spent a very pleasant hour together over a fine meal and also got to see Lakeland which is really quite a lovely small city. We also enjoyed the drive and the sights along the way. We are, of course, determined to try again. We shall return...the next time when the museum is open.

And so we climbed back in the car and headed home, making one brief stop to do a little shopping at a pottery store. And that was the full extent of our day. We drove a total of 200 miles for a pretty good lunch.

Naturally, I had to check the website again after we got home. As it turned out, in addition to posting their normal hours, the website also included an additional notice about summer hours. I just hadn't noticed it. So I guess I have to take the blame for our mildly disappointing outing...well, part of the blame. I'll find some way to blame the museum.

I'll have to be a little more attentive as I plan our outing for next week. One change: it won't be on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment