The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Caritas in veritate (Charity in truth)

The Vatican published Pope Benedict's latest encyclical, Caritas in veritate, on July 7. I read it through once, but will have to read it again more slowly so I can digest and better understand some of the Holy Father's thoughts on the Church's social teaching. The encyclical is available online at the Vatican's website. The Pope also spoke about it at his most recent audience, so if you want a very brief synopsis, you can read those comments. Finally, a number of people have already published (online) brief overviews or summaries of the encyclical. The one I found most helpful is by Dr. Jeff Mirus and available on catholicculture.org. Here are links to all three:

Entire Encyclical Caritas in veritate: Vatican website

Pope's comments at July 8 audience: General Audience

Dr. Jeff Mirus - Summary: Catholic Culture

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment