The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exorcism on TV?

Now here's one I have trouble believing, even though I keep encountering reports that seem to confirm it.

According to reports, the Discovery Channel, that TV network that regularly brings us such classics as American Chopper, River Monsters, and Swamp Loggers, has worked a deal with the Vatican to bring us a new show, The Exorcist Files. Apparently the Vatican has granted some level of access to its case files and has also allowed Discovery to interview several exorcists. According to Clark Bunting, Discovery's president, “The Vatican is an extraordinarily hard place to get access to, but we explained we’re not going to try to tell people what to think,” The show is expected to debut sometime this spring.

This Discovery Channel-Vatican collaboration is simply not the sort of thing one would expect the Vatican to countenance unless they had total editorial control over the final product. And I can't believe that Discovery would cede such control. It's all very strange, but perhaps the Vatican has decided that the world should come to understand that Satan does indeed exist.

I remain skeptical, however, especially since I have seen and heard nothing from the Vatican about the show. If any reader knows of an official Vatican statement (or even an unofficial comment) addressing the show, please pass it along.

God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment