The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Perk up, folks. Enjoy life. Being is good!

On Sunday when I step up to the ambo to proclaim the Gospel and preach I look out at the congregation and am amazed by what I see: hundreds of faces looking, for the most part, indifferent. In fact, far too many look downright grumpy. It happens every week, so I shouldn't be amazed...but I am, and saddened as well. Here they are, participating in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and being given the remarkable opportunity to be nourished by God's Word and by His Body and Blood at His table. And it's an opportunity you and I can seize every day of the week. Should it not be a time of unsurpassed joy, a joy one would expect to see reflected in the faces of those who experience it? That it apparently isn't makes me wonder what in their lives makes these people happy. What is it that brings joy to them? Perhaps nothing.

As I mulled this over, I recalled a video someone shared with me a few months ago. It's totally secular, not at all religious, but it certainly beings a smile to the faces of those who watch it. And its message is pretty simple: life is a wonderful gift. Just being alive is truly good, and we should enjoy what God has given us, where He has put us, who He has called to share their lives with us.

Just in case you're not one of the over one million people who have viewed this video (below), go ahead and watch it. It's brief. And even if you've watched it before, watch it again. It might just cheer you up.

And then, when you attend Mass this weekend, and the priest or deacon stands before you to proclaim the Gospel, you just might let your face reflect what you're about to hear. The Gospel, after all, is the Good News of Jesus Christ, not the bad news. And don't forget, God does want you to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment