The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Reading Holy Scripture Daily

In our parish I have the privilege of facilitating two weekly sessions of Scripture study. One group gathers after our Wednesday morning Mass, and another on Wednesday evening to coincide with the parish's faith formation program. I'm not sure how long I've been doing this; I think by now it's been five or six years. But one thing I do know: these meetings, along with my Thursdays at the Wildwood Soup Kitchen, are the highlights of my week. And believe me when I say the thought of not taking part in these activities even makes vacations bitter-sweet.

This came to mind this morning because Diane and I are leaving later this week on a road trip to Iowa where we will attend the wedding of the son of dear friends. It will also provide a needed opportunity to escape from the daily routine (Yes, retirement can become routine-like!) and simply enjoy a more relaxed pace in a series of different settings. And so we've decided to see a few other old friends along the way and also turn our trip into a leisurely tour of the Mississippi Valley. Natchez, Vicksburg, Memphis, Hannibal ...all await us as we avoid the interstates and stick to blue highways running through the very heart of America, driving no more than 300 miles each day. It should be an enjoyable trip and, of course, I'll be taking hundreds of photos. I only hope the plains cool off a bit before our arrival.

And yet, despite the joy of anticipating our trip, I will sincerely miss my two Scripture study groups. The only saving grace is the fact that our Scripture study is on hiatus during the month of August to resume again in mid-September, so I'm really not missing anything. The soup kitchen, of course, will go one without us because we have such a wonderful and dedicated team of volunteers always ready to fill the gaps.

As I pack for the trip, I have gathered a small stack of books that I hope will make those hotel-room evenings a bit more pleasant. Right on top of the stack is my Bible, the one book (other than my Breviary) I cannot go anywhere without. Right now we're reading and absorbing John's Gospel in our Scripture study sessions, so this trip will give me an opportunity to read this remarkable Gospel for the umpteenth time. Once again I will learn new things as I ask the Spirit to lead me deeper into His revelation.

I also noticed this morning that Pope Benedict, speaking to pilgrims at his summer residence at Castel Gandolfo, suggested they not forget their Bibles while on vacation. Vatican spokesman, Father Frederico  Lombardi, stated that the pope has spoken about this on several occasions in recent weeks. According to Fr. Lombardi:
“First of all, [the Pope] invited those of us who can, to use our vacation time in a way that helps renew our relationships with others and with God. Interrupting the hectic and frantic pace of daily life, we can take time to dedicate ourselves to others and to God.

“The Pope even suggested we include a copy of the Sacred Scriptures in our suitcase. He also invited us to contemplate the greatness, and admire the beauty, of creation around us, recognizing in it the wonderful presence of the Creator.

“He knew how to interpret the language and signs of Creation, which is a gift we must respect, protect and care for, in the name of God, humanity and future generations.”
Fr. Lombardi then remarked that Pope Benedict stressed the importance of vacations:
“The enjoyment of friendship, reading, nature and culture helps to nourish and restore our spirit. It gives us the strength to continue our journey refreshed and renewed.”
As I read this I thought of our upcoming trip and how all these elements stressed by the pope are included. I trust Diane and I will return "refreshed and renewed."


To read more about Pope Benedict's comments, click here: Take Scripture on Holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment