The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Wise little boys

Ezekiel & Phineas
It's early evening and I'm sitting here with two of my grandsons watching a rather strange animated show, "Fireman Sam", on Sprout. For those of you not blessed with either children or grandchildren, Sprout is a cable network offering fare for the pre-school crowd. The show is strange -- at least to me -- because it features a nasty little boy named Norman who time and again causes major, and usually costly, chaos in his small community and yet is still permitted to live there. After watching only three episodes I was ready to keelhaul the little brat, but the townsfolk, afflicted with an overabundance of tolerance, never cease to forgive Norman. Deep down I recognize the value of the show's message, but Norman pushes the envelope. It would also seem I have a problem suspending my disbelief when faced with fictional Normans. My two grandsons, of course, enjoy the show immensely and have no trouble recognizing the absurdity of Norman and his over the top selfishness. They also applaud the townspeople and their continual forgiveness -- "not seven times, but seventy-seven times." And I thought grandfathers were supposed to be a family's source of all things wise.

Live and learn...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment