The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Homily: Monday, 6th Week in Ordianry Time

Readings: Gn 4:1-15, 25 • Ps 50 • Mk 8:11-13
----------------------------------
Some years ago, in another parish, I was teaching a course on Church History when a man began to attack the Church for its teaching on the Eucharist. It seems he left the Church years before and became affiliated with a fundamentalist sect that considered the Eucharist a form of idol worship.

I took a deep breath, said a silent prayer, and surprisingly, I actually kept my cool. I then turned to Sacred Scripture and read what it revealed about the Eucharist. But this simply infuriated him. He didn't even try to counter my Scriptural arguments, but instead began to attack me personally.

Finally, I suggested that since we were in total disagreement, it might be best if we moved on. But his attacks continued, so I just told the class to take a break. When we reconvened he was gone. Reading today's Gospel passage from Mark, I found myself recalling that encounter from almost 30 years ago.

I often call Mark the Sergeant Joe Friday of the Gospels: "Just the facts, Ma'am." (You must be over 60 to recognize that allusion.) Yes, Mark lays it out there in simple, straightforward language, just as he does here: 
"The Pharisees came, and began to argue with Him..." [Mk 8:11]
You see, the Pharisees can't stand the fact that Jesus attracts so many - actually that the people follow Jesus and not them. They are so obsessed with Jesus, that they can't help themselves. They argue with Him, attack Him, and even try to test Him.

They ask Him for a sign from heaven, but of course, that's the last thing they either want or expect. If they actually thought He might be the Messiah, or even a prophet, they'd never dare to test Him, for to do so would be to test God Himself. In truth, the greatest sign from heaven is standing right before them, but they are too blind, too proud, to recognize it.
The Pharisees Argue with Jesus, and Demand a Sign
They consider Jesus a nobody, perhaps a clever nobody, but a nobody nevertheless. What they really want is to make Jesus do their bidding, and so they demand He do what they ask.

How often do we do the same? How often do we try to force our will on the Lord, and by doing so show we grasp nothing of God's will? Yes, indeed, instead of "Thy will be done," our prayer becomes my will be done. Because I'm so self-absorbed, I know only my will, and I know exactly what I want from God.

Ironic, isn't it? In my need, I finally come to the point where I accept my weakness, that I can do nothing. But instead of humbly opening myself to the Lord's will, I test Him, demanding He do what I can't do, and to do it in obedience to my will.

Brothers and sisters, in faith we cannot test the Lord, and certainly not in humility. To test the Lord is to imitate the Pharisees, to raise ourselves above Him. Instead we must be ever willing to receive the Lord's will in our lives, and to receive it gratefully even when it seems so contrary to our own will.

Mark often reveals the most human side of Jesus, and today's passage offers a perfect example.
"He sighed deeply in His Spirit" [Mk 8:12].
...a most human sigh from deep within Jesus. 

How the Pharisees must have tired Him, exasperated Him in their foolish pride, their hypocrisy, their spiritual blindness. Standing in their midst, He must be thinking, "These men are the teachers of Israel? I'm surprised any faith remains in the land."

He knew there would be no conversion that day, no belief, and that argument was futile. As Cardinal Newman once wrote: 
"It is as absurd to argue men, as to torture them, into believing."
And so Jesus refuses the Pharisees' demands:
"...no sign will be given to this generation" [Mk 8:12].
Now, Jesus gave many signs. Indeed, John in his Gospel, describes Jesus' miracles as signs, as works of God that point to even greater revelations. But Jesus' signs are always in response to faith or for a deepening of faith, but never for a purpose that wants to show itself stronger than the Lord's will.

When Jesus expresses and reveals the will of the Father, there is only a Yes or a No. And in this instance the Pharisees are refused.
"And He left them..." [Mk 8:13].
There will be no sign, no miracle. The Pharisees are left to stand alone and silent, unable to refute Jesus, the Word of God, or to disprove the miraculous.

Jesus leaves them not to make Himself seem important as the Pharisees want to be important. 
He left them and Joined the Disciples
No, He just leaves and joins His disciples in the boat. He does this to increase the disciples' faith and to glorify the Father; to teach them that there are things that demand an absolute No. They also learn that sometimes it is best to walk away and let the Spirit do His work. 

Let us remember that as well. Our prayer should never be a test of the Lord. Instead, today let's ask our loving Father to show us His will and keep us always in His love. We need no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment