The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sagrada Familia Can Be Built!!

I really have several reasons for writing this post. The first resulted from an article I recently came across. It contained some astonishing news. Apparently, in June of 2019 the city of Barcelona finally approved the construction of the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia. 

If you've experienced delays and problems getting governmental approval for construction or other purposes, just thank God you don't live in Barcelona. I suspect that city may well have set a world record. You see, the original construction request for Sagrada Familia was submitted in 1885, only 134 years ago before it was finally approved. I would guess, although I can't be certain about this, the architect, Antonio Gaudi, the local bishop, and the Sagrada Familia Foundation just assumed approval was pending and went ahead with the construction anyway. Why the city took so long, nobody is saying. But one thing is certain: the foundation, even though it's a not-for-profit organization, had to fork over 4.5 million Euros to get the construction license. Considering the basilica is perhaps the city's most popular tourist attraction, that seems a bit excessive to me...but, hey, what do I know? I'm not a European.

If you've ever been to Barcelona, I would hope you visited Sagrada Familia, this remarkable, yet still unfinished, church conceived by the great architect, Antonio Gaudi (1852-1926). If you've been to Barcelona and didn't visit the basilica, I suggest you return to the city as soon as possible. Sagrada Familia is well worth another trip.


Sagrada Familia (Nov 2010)
Ten years ago Diane and I spent about a week in Barcelona, a trip that included a full day at Sagrada Familia. Of course I had heard of the basilica and seen many pictures of it, but encountering this magnificent church up close and personal took my breath away. Quite honestly, as someone who appreciates the gothic, I didn't expect to like Gaudi's decidedly different architecture... until I was surrounded by it. To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. I remember Diane saying, "I've never been anywhere more beautiful." We both came away converted, convinced that Gaudi was a true genius. It's also apparent why he was called, "God's Architect." 

Here are a few of the many photos I took back in 2010.
The Four Evangelists High Above
Sagrada Familia Interior
Light and Reflections
An Exterior Façade: The Nativity 

Antonio Gaudi
Interestingly, the basilica is still unfinished. Its construction is ongoing and the current team of architects plans to complete the work six years from now in 2026. Sadly, Antonio Gaudi died in 1926 after being hit by a Barcelona streetcar. The architects, then, hope to complete construction on the 100th anniversary of Gaudi's death. That will certainly be quite a day for Barcelona and for all of Spain, assuming that Catalonia is still a part of Spain in 2026 -- but that's a whole other story. Fittingly, Gaudi, a devout Catholic who lived a life of ascetic poverty, was buried in the basilica's crypt. His cause for sainthood is ongoing. I include him in my intercessory prayers. 

Another landmark day in the life of the basilica was its dedication by Pope Benedict XVI on November 7, 2010, just 128 years after construction actually began in 1882. This day was particularly interesting for Diane and me, and our friends, Deacon Walter and his wife Ellen, because we happened to be in Barcelona at the time. Although we didn't have tickets for the basilica's dedication, we managed to see the pope as he passed by quickly in his pope-mobile. The photo's not very good, but he was moving fast and the crowd was a bit pushy.
Pope Benedict XVI on his way to Sagrada Familia
We are fortunate Sagrada Familia still stands since it was burned by Catalan anarchists and communists in the 1930s during the Spanish Civil War. Seeing the same kind of activity by anarchists, communists, and others in our country today, we pray that our churches suffer no more damage than they already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment