The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, February 12, 2021

St. Bernadette's Prayer

Yesterday I was asked by our local Marian Servants of the Word Incarnate to give a brief reflection during their online Zoom meeting. My reflection was (I think) well-received, but I was touched by the comments and questions of these women who have dedicated their lives to serving our Lord and His people. 

I'm not a regular user of Zoom -- this was just my 2nd Zoom event -- so it proved to be an interesting experience for me. I was suitably impressed, and given the times and the health concerns we must deal with today, Zoom turns out to be a remarkably effective way to "get together" without really getting together. Of course, it is only a weak substitute for meeting in community...Soon we hope we can come together again in worship, prayer, and fellowship.

Anyway, yesterday, February 11, was the Memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes who appeared to the young St. Bernadette in 1858. Since then these appearances have led to countless healings in the waters of the spring that arose during those apparitions, something that has particular meaning for our world today as so many look to God for healing. 

Before our meeting as I pondered this feast, I recalled having once encountered a prayer written by St. Bernadette, a prayer that revealed the saint's deep humility. I managed to find it again, so I thought it would be good to repeat it here:

______________

Prayer of St. Bernadette

O Jesus, give me I pray

the bread of humility,

the bread of obedience,

the bread of charity,
the bread of strength to break my will, and make it one with yours,
the bread of patience to bear the pain my heart endures,
the bread to see you and you alone in all things and always!

I put my hope in you, Lord. 

Be my house of refuge because you are my strength.

________________

In is simplicity, its selflessness, its expression of deep faith, and its complete focus on serving the Lord, it is truly a beautiful prayer. But it also shows us how this young saint took those words of Jesus' prayer -- "Give us this day our daily bread" -- and opened them to address all the needs of our lives.

Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment