The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Book of Judith

In my last post I referred to and quoted from the Old Testament Book of Judith, largely because I have been rather occupied with the book for the past week or so. I had decided to put together another of my Bible Study Guides, number 41, this time on Judith. I say “put together” because most of what I write is not original. I unashamedly borrow material from a wide range of sources, from people who are all much smarter than I. The majority died long ago because I tend to find the scholars of earlier generations far more interesting, believable, and faithful to Church teaching than many of the more recent scholars. Anyway, I thank all of these remarkable scholars, both dead and alive, for their unwitting assistance. If I had to rely on my own thoughts I’d still be writing Study Guide number one. Fortunately, I have an extensive personal library containing many books on Sacred Scripture from which I can draw all those wonderful insights which I gladly share with my Bible Study regulars.

The Book of Judith tells an especially interesting story. Many scholars dismiss the book as complete fiction, but not I. (Of course, I am by no means a scholar.) I suspect the story has its roots in real events, passed down as a traditional story that might have received a little tweaking by later generations. Yes, it seems to contain some historical anomalies but even these have been explained by a number of respected scholars. But as I mention in my Study Guide, the story’s message is far more important than the historical setting in which the story is told. 

Only the Catholic and Orthodox Churches include Judith in their inspired canons of Sacred Scripture. The Jews do not consider it canonical because the earliest known versions are in Greek and not Hebrew. And our Protestant brothers and sisters follow the Jewish canon when it comes to the Old Testament. Accordingly, it’s among the least read and studied Biblical books, which was another reason I decided to address it.

You can access the Study Guide here: Bible Study Guide 41: Judith

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment