The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Hans Urs von Balthasar - Last Interview

Over the years, writing in this blog, I've occasionally referred to a number of theologians whose work has had a particular influence on my thinking. Although Romano Guardini (1885-1968) was probably the most influential, there have been many others. Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI) is certainly high on the list, as are Henri de Lubac (1896-1991), Jean Danielou (1905-1974), and Avery Dulles (1918-2008). Another is the Swiss theologian, Hans Urs von Balthasar (1905-1988), whom many consider perhaps the greatest of the 20th century's Catholic theologians. 

I first encountered von Balthasar about 35 years ago when someone -- I can't recall who -- gave me a copy of a book edited by two German Jesuits, translated by another Jesuit, and entitled, The von Balthasar Reader. Because even in those days I occasionally read some theology, I had certainly heard of von Balthasar. Although his name kept popping up in my readings, I had never read any of his work. The gift of this book was, therefore, a welcome treat. The theologian was still alive when I first turned its pages and began to sample his writings. As the title suggests, the book is an anthology, arranged thematically and designed to help the reader become acquainted with von Balthasar's thinking as expressed in his huge body of work.

Because I am neither patient enough nor smart enough to make my way through most of his writings with any degree of understanding, I found the Reader most helpful. And then a few year later, I picked up a copy of von Balthasar's little book, Epilogue, which he apparently wrote for people just like me. As he indicated in the book's foreword, it was "written to afford the weary reader something like an overview of the whole enterprise." By the "whole enterprise" von Balthasar meant his major theological trilogy -- The Glory of the Lord; Theo-Drama; and Theo-Logic -- each a multi-volume work that would have occupied me for several lifetimes.

We are also blessed that Fr. Joseph Fessio, founder of Ignatius Press, knew von Balthasar and arranged to publish his work in English translation. Although back in my student days I minored in German, I certainly do not have the facility to read theology in the language. And so I've been able to sample other works of this great theologian, including another favorite, his introduction to the thought of Romano Guardini: Romano Guardini -- Reform from the Source.

Von Balthasar died at the age of 82 in 1988. Today I stumbled across a YouTube interview from 1984, apparently the last time the theologian was interviewed on camera. The interview lasts about an hour and was conducted in German, but the English subtitles make it understandable even if you have no German. In it von Balthasar provides insights into his early life and education, his theology, his becoming a Jesuit as well as his later decision to leave the order. He also offers his thoughts on the changes experienced by the Church and his relationships with a number of other theologians. If you're a fan of von Balthasar, you'll enjoy it. 

For some reason, I was unable to embed the video in this blog posting, so here's a direct link to the YouTube video:

Last Interview with Hans Urs von Balthasar


No comments:

Post a Comment