The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, July 2, 2021

Signs of the Times

Watching or reading the news these days can certainly be disheartening, but if we ignore what’s happening in our world we run the risk of allowing evil to overwhelm the good, at least temporarily. And, believe me, there is much evil in this world. Let me share a few — ten to be exact — reports I’ve stumbled across recently. In most instances the headlines say enough, but I’ll add a link to each so you can read the entire story should you want to dig more deeply into one or more of these reports.

Some of these articles report on palpable demonstrations of real evil, while others depict the weakness of those afraid to counter its more subtle manifestations. In all of them, however, we encounter a betrayal of Judeo-Christian values and a rejection of the Gospel. Behind many of these stories is a hatred of the Church, which Marxists have always believed to be its most “dangerous” enemy.











…that’s it for now, but enough to show how evil has infiltrated so much of our society, indeed, our entire world. 

Because I’m a deacon some people seem to think I have all the answers, or at least some of them. Of course, I don’t, and like the rest of the faithful struggle to find my way to salvation. As St. Paul instructed the Philippians, “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” [Phil 2:12]. And that’s exactly where I am — just a servant overcome with awe, with fear of the Lord, and trembling over my own sinfulness. But still, I’m asked questions: 

As a Christian, how should I respond to the growing evil and hatred I see around me? 
Should I be politically active? 
What does God want us to do? 
What does He want me to do?

These, and similar questions, are asked by faithful Christians who want only to do what is right but are troubled by the conflicting words they hear and the signs they see emanating from politicians, clergy, academics, media people, and others, all competing for their attention, their allegiance…or their vote. My response? Turn to the Word of God and listen to what St. Paul told the Ephesians while he was imprisoned, “an ambassador in chains.
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done it all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; above all taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that utterance may be given me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak [Eph 6:10-20].
Did you happen to notice the warfare and military metaphors St. Paul used? They’re hard to miss. He knew the Church will always be engaged in battle against the powers of darkness, not a physical battle, at least not often, but a spiritual battle. 

In the beginning, though, the Risen Jesus didn’t send those first disciples into the fray unprepared: 
“...He enjoined them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, He said, ‘you heard from me, for John baptized with water, but before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit’” [Acts 1:4-5]. 
Here Jesus acknowledged that their mission would not be an easy one, that the disciples must be well-armed for the battle, armed with spiritual weapons only the Holy Spirit can provide. Only then can we "stand against the wiles of the devil...and boldly...proclaim the mystery of the gospel." 

We must realize, though, to engage in this battle does not mean responding to hatred with hatred. St. John Paul II certainly recognized this. In his encyclical,  Evangelium vitae (The Gospel of Life), he showed he understood our struggles, reminding us that unlike the “culture of death,” Christianity is a love story. And St. Paul offers us even more specifics on how we should approach the fight:
"Do everything without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the word of life, so that my boast for the day of Christ may be that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. But, even if I am poured out as a libation upon the sacrificial service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with all of you" [Phil 2:14-17].
Is this easy? Not at all. Do you and I really "shine like lights in the world" or do we sometimes try to hide from the powers of darkness? Just like the Apostles, we can't do it on our own. We, too, need the gifts of the Holy Spirit as we struggle to carry out God's will in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment