The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, September 13, 2021

Aging Benchmarks

There comes a point in life when birthdays become somewhat less celebratory, and I think I might have reached that point. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy enough that I’ve lived this long, and will certainly welcome the typical low-key celebration Diane and I enjoy on each other’s birthdays. But with aging comes the realization that perhaps I haven’t used all these years as well as I should have. Yet, as I try to avoid dwelling on the past and it’s many errors, I find myself looking instead to the future, as brief as it might be, wondering how I can best use my remaining years. And then the Lord brings me back to reality as I recall His words:

“And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life?…Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day’s own trouble be sufficient for the day” [Mt 6:27,34].

Yes, indeed, today, and every other today, bring enough, both good and ill, to keep me busy. 

As you have probably guessed, today is my birthday, specifically, my 77th. Having survived for so long might seem like quite a milestone, unless like me you live in The Villages, the world’s largest retirement community. The homes in our neighborhood, our particular village, for example, were built in early 2004 and Diane and I were among the youngest of those first settlers. As one of our friends said to me the other day, “77? You’re just a kid.” Yes, indeed, in The Villages age becomes a relative concept. Where else can someone my age be considered just a youngster? 

I suppose these thoughts will bounce around in my tired brain for a day or so until they are overwhelmed by what seem to be more pressing needs. In the meantime I’ll meet today with two of our Bible Study groups to celebrate God’s Word in our lives. And then this evening Diane and I will join another deacon and his wife at a local Greek/Italian restaurant where together we will thank God for allowing me to enjoy this gift of life for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment