The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, October 7, 2021

A Mini-Vacation

Dear Diane and I needed to get away, if only for a couple of days. I've been a bit overwhelmed lately, with lots to do and barely enough time to do it all. And in the midst of everything, I've had to share Diane with a collection of doctors and dentists who have been monopolizing her time. Anyway, I managed to find a good deal and reserved a pleasant suite at a resort in Cape Canaveral. It was very nice and affordable  -- always a good combination for those of us pinching our retirement pennies. More importantly, however, it provided both of us with some needed down-time.

We enjoyed occasional lunches and dinners at a couple of local eateries, and took short drives up and down the Florida coast, stopping whenever the spirit moved us. Of course, I took photos of odd things and places and people. 

On our last morning we actually took a walk down to the beach following the resort's boardwalk. Neither of us are really beach people. In fact, we didn't even pack bathing suits. But when we stepped onto the sand I saw something that amazed me. The beach was quite large, easily 100 yards deep, and almost deserted. Only a few people strolled along the shoreline, but one woman sat alone in a folding beach chair. She seemed to be reading something on her smartphone, but she wore a mask! I don't think there was anyone within 100 yards of her. I've posted two versions of my photo below: the wide-angle shot and a close-up version so you can see her mask. 



This remarkable sight led me to realize just how much we have been overcome by the fear of this COVID virus. That someone would feel obligated to wear a mask, apparently to protect herself from the virus, as she sits on an empty beach surrounded by nothing but fresh air. Perhaps she has some serious health issues, but even so I think she needed to take off that mask, inhale deeply, and thank God for the healing power of His clean, ocean air. God bless her.



No comments:

Post a Comment