The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Christmas Grinches: Secular and Ecclesial

I can't speak for anyone but myself, and the older I get the more apparent this becomes. I can't believe, however, that most people, certainly most Christians, would not agree with me as I challenge several rather important people who appear to delight in trying to make this season of joy almost joyless. To me such people epitomize the infamous Grinch of cartoon fame.

My first target happens to be the President of these United States, Joe Biden. That's right, the President, speaking to the American people the other day, threatened some of them with a "severe winter of illness and death" from the Omicron strain of the COVID virus. I find this particularly interesting since so far, worldwide, only one person with Omicron has died, and that person was in the UK. In fact, to our knowledge they didn't die from the virus but from other causes and happened to test positive with Omicron. Most people infected with Omicron have very mild cases that resemble a bad cold. And yet, the power-hungry just continue to create fear and panic among the population, forcing businesses, schools, and government offices to close. Yes, it will indeed be a severe winter and those we have elected, aided by the bureaucrats, will ensure it's as severe as they can make it.

Here's a video of President Biden's little pep talk from the other day:  

https://youtu.be/A4IPfBWN-rQ

As I heard Joe Biden lecture us on the dangers of Omicron, and the bleak winter we will face, I couldn't help but recall a wonderful scene from one of my favorite movies, "Groundhog Day." If you saw the movie, I'm sure you remember how Phil, the weathermen, offered his equally glum prediction of winter. Here's a link to a brief video:

https://youtu.be/vBeGQAvabOE

Sadly, the other Grinch is a Catholic bishop in Sicily, Bishop Antonio Stagliano of the diocese of Noto, who told a group of children that Santa Claus does not exist. His intent, apparently, was to reinforce the religious meaning of Christmas and lessen its commercial aspects. 

Unfortunately, I think the good bishop went about it in a way that only damaged the innocence of children and infuriated their parents. He could have (should have) focused on Santa's origins, the kindly and charitable Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra in 4th-century Asia Minor, who is still with us in the Mystical Body of Christ, encouraging us to follow his example of care for those in need. 

As a result of the bishop's comments, the diocese was forced to apologize and "spin" what the bishop actually said. Maybe on Christmas Eve he should put on a Santa suit (which, by the way, he said was a product of Christmas commercialization by the Coca Cola Company) and visit the poor children of his diocese armed with gifts.

Here's a link to the video explaining all this:

https://youtu.be/dsRyPzf9Hkc

In the meantime, with only six shopping or, rather, six joyful praying and giving days until Christmas, have a blessed, peaceful, Grinch-less Holy Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment