The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, January 14, 2022

Unmasking

Yesterday I noticed our president complained that a third of Americans apparently never wear masks. The irony, of course, is that this percentage almost exactly reflects national support for his job performance. I suspect, however, this is a mere coincidence since most of the maskless are probably not avid supporters of the president. 

Anyway, this estimate of mask deniers — I can’t call it a fact because it comes from the White House — apparently made President Biden angry enough to label all these maskless citizens “unpatriotic.” It would seem I am counted among them even though I cannot claim to never wear a mask. I must occasionally hide behind one of those irritating face coverings that really accomplish very little. Because of my ministry as a deacon, I am required by my parish to wear a mask when I am distributing Holy Communion at Mass. And, believe me, I always do so…except when I forget. I am also required to don a mask whenever I visit patients in a nursing home or rehab facility. But other than these rare mask mandates, I refuse to wear a mask. I don’t believe I’ve ever shopped at a store or eaten at a restaurant that requires masks. But that’s me.

Of course, as Dear Diane reminded me, masks are not only uncomfortable but also severely disrupt her ability to breathe. But most importantly, like me she doesn’t believe they really accomplish much. I think she also said something about masks messing up her hair, but here I might have misheard her.

To ensure there’s no misunderstanding, Diane and I are, as they say, “fully vaccinated.” We have no problem with vaccinations or boosters, and even wade through the deepening flow of decrees pouring out of the mouths of the national health heavies, even though their announcements are often contradictory, inexplicable, and unintelligible. As they like to remind us, “Just following the science.”

The truth too many seem to ignore is that science, as always, is a moving target. In truth, very little science can with any certainly be called “settled.” We clever, little human creatures keep expanding our knowledge of the universe in which God has placed us, thereby redefining our earlier assumptions and tossing aside the theories of the past. Real science demands real debate and valid, repeatable experimentation. It is never achieved by mere fiat, regardless of the stature of the scientist.

Even more troubling, understanding the science that relates to our actions often takes quite a while. For example, I suspect it may take years before we fully grasp the effects of forcing children to wear masks in school. Parents and honest teachers have already spoken out about the obvious problems affecting the social and intellectual development of children because of masks, not to mention the failures of “remote learning.”

But there are other issues, deeper societal, moral, and spiritual issues, related to hiding the faces of humanity. How can we enjoy the blessing of God’s face when we hide ours not only from each other but also from God? Every day I extend these words of blessing to others — a blessing God gave Moses and Aaron [Num 6:24-26]:

The LORD bless you and keep you: 
The LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: 
The LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace. 

I could go on, but the other day I read a wonderful essay on The Federalist website. Written by Maureen Mullarkey, it beautifully addresses the importance of showing our faces. It’s well worth a read, so here’s the link:


Keep smiling, friends, and let the world see your smile.

Faith over fear…always.

P.S. -- A brief addendum to the above. Today (Jan 15) I visited Maureen Mullarkey's web log -- Studio Matters -- as well as her website -- Maureen Mullarkey -- and encourage you to do so as well. She is an artist of some renown, an art critic, and regular contributor to major publications. I have no doubt read some of her articles and essays in the past, but simply didn't make the connection because of the ongoing loss of my aging memory cells. That's the good thing about aging -- I always have a ready excuse for my failings.

God's peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment