The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Late this morning I completed several home blessings for parishioners who had recently moved into their new homes in the expanding southern section of The Villages. I relish this small aspect of my ministry because these new retirees are so happy to find themselves here in the great state of Florida, far away from the cold, bleak, too woke north. I’m overjoyed that so many want these new homes blessed. Today I not only blessed their homes, but I also blessed their dogs, their cars, and their golf carts. 

The Villages is an extremely friendly and beautiful community in which many enjoy their senior years. It’s one of those rare places where a family need brings out the best in neighbors who want to do whatever they can to help. The Villages is also a remarkably religious community, where worshippers fill the pews of dozens of churches. It’s truly remarkable how The Villages has grown over the years. When Diane and I moved into our home in early 2004, there was nothing but farmland to the south of us. Now it can take me a half-hour to drive to these new homes. As the locals might describe it: “The Villages has spread like the plague.” Of course, it’s a relatively benevolent plague, one that has led to a blossoming of the local economy. But that’s a subject for another time.

When I returned from my “blessing drive” dear Diane informed me that she had a demanding craving for Cashew Chicken from our favorite Chinese food establishment. The Chinese-American family that owns and runs the restaurant — China Gourmet III — are parishioners at our parish and prepare wonderful take-out meals at reasonable prices. If you live in or near The Villages, give them a try. You won’t regret it. Anyway, Diane’s meal included two fortune cookies, so as she ate her lunch, I decided I deserved one of the cookies and ate it. Then I read the fortune: “One person with a belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine who have only interest.” I almost fell out of my chair since earlier this morning I had completed a Bible Study Guide on the prophet Elijah that covered chapter 18 of 1 Kings. The very last words I wrote this morning extolled the faith and prayer of Elijah, and how the faith of this one man  restored the faith of the people who had displayed mere interest in the living God because of their partial apostasy with the false god Baal. Here are the final words of my 11-page Study Guide:

“At the prophet’s word, God sends rain, a gift from heaven itself that brings fruitfulness to the earth. But the rain falls in superabundance, just like the faith of Elijah, who believes for more than himself, but for all of Israel, for all twelve tribes. The faith of this one man, then, can bring life to all.”

Perhaps I should pay more attention to the occasional fortune cookie that lands on my plate of pork fried rice.

Should you want to read the entire Study Guide, click here: Study 48: Elijah – Part 2 (1 Kings 18)…or you can spend a few days reading through the other 47 Study Guides here: Catholic-Scripture.com


No comments:

Post a Comment