The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, October 28, 2022

Snippets of Sad News

Every so often, as I scan the daily news, I’m reminded of how much sadness there is in the world. Some of it is expected; for example, the death of a celebrity who has lived a long life. It’s saddest perhaps for family and close friends left behind, and I suppose for loyal, diehard fans, but for most of us it’s just another story touched with nostalgia, one that also reminds us of our own mortality. Other sad stories make us scratch our heads in wonder, as we try to fathom the motives that lead people to do strange and seemingly inexplicable things. I like to understand the motives of others, but today, although motives are often veiled, we can sense the presence of real evil. And some stories are sad for only a few, while others publicly celebrate the same news. 

Here are just a few stories that popped up on my iPad today, stories that generated sadness among some and other emotions in the hearts and minds of others.

Catholic Voters in Swing States. Here’s a story that generated sadness among some of my Catholic friends who reside on the political left. In a poll conducted by the Trafalgar Group in mid-October, Catholics in the key swing states of Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Ohio, and Pennsylvania overwhelmingly rejected President Biden. The president’s average disapproval rating among Catholics in these states was 62.2%, while his approval rating was a mere 35.4%. For Democrats, who must ride his coattails even though they’d prefer to ride almost anything else, this news was especially troubling. I called one of my more liberal pals to get his reaction, and he simply asked, “Don’t they realize the president is a devout Catholic?” Perhaps, I suggested, he might want to listen to the American bishops who have come out strongly against the president for his rejection of almost the entire range of Catholic moral teaching. Maybe the results of this poll show us that many Catholics have listened to and agree with our bishops. I must admit, the news didn’t sadden me.

The Funeral of a Parishioner. Late this morning I assisted our pastor at the funeral of a parishioner, a woman named Carol Buyarski. It was a beautiful funeral Mass, attended by a large gathering of family and friends. There’s always an element of sadness when a loved one dies, the sadness of grief and separation, but never a sadness resulting from death itself. As Christians we believe our lives here on earth are simply the beginning. As T. S. Eliot once wrote, “In my end is my beginning,” a phrase I believe he borrowed from Mary, Queen of Scots. But whatever it’s source, it’s a wonderful phrase because it’s true. For the faithful, the end of this life is merely the beginning of something wonderfully eternal, a life in the Presence of God. As St. Paul reminds us: "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him” [1 Cor 2:9]. And so, at the funeral I found myself listening to others talk about Carol, this good woman who brought so much good and joy and peace to the lives of others. I thought how good it was that she had lived her 78 years well. But then I recalled that she and I were both born on September 13, 1944, a remarkable coincidence. Of course, I don’t believe in coincidence. Anyway, this brought to mind something my mother said to me years ago. I was probably 8 or 9 years old and we were attending the Irish wake of a relative, one of those older relatives whom I really didn’t know well. Looking at the old man lying peacefully in his casket, I turned to my mom and asked “What did he die of?” Her response meant little to me at the time, but I never forgot it. “Oh, I suppose he just died of old age.” You guessed it, he was 78. Now that’s sad.

Jerry Lee Lewis Dies Today at 87. Okay, I know, you don’t have to remind me, Jerry Lee Lewis was by no means a paragon of virtue. I believe he was married seven times and one of those marriages, his third, was to a cousin who was, as I recall, all of 13 years old. And throughout it all, drugs, booze, and infidelity were a major part of his life. Yes, indeed, Jerry Lee was a sinner, and a very public one. But if you’re a fan of true 50’s rock ‘n roll, you know full well you loved Jerry Lee’s music. Maybe I should say you loved his entire performance, something that was outrageously unique and virtually unrepeatable. At the age of maybe fifteen I managed to attend a “show” (that’s what we called concerts back then) that included Jerry Lee Lewis. It was a rollicking, absolutely amazing show. No one could imagine — I certainly couldn’t — that anyone could give us that kind of brash, wild and crazy experience. Everyone in the theater was on their feet, totally involved in the music, as Jerry Lee sang and pounded out “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” followed by “Great Balls of Fire.” He had managed to blend Gospel, rockabilly, Country-Western and ended up giving us the purist form of rock ‘n roll. Later in life he redefined himself as a Country-Western star. As for his lifestyle, yes, he was a sinner, but unlike most celebrities he admitted it. One thing you can say about Jerry Lee Lewis: he was no hypocrite. He also believed in Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior, and I hope spent some repenting time with his Lord during his last days. As Sr. Francis Jane, O.P. once told our eighth-grade class, “If you get there, you might be surprised whom you will meet in heaven.” I am saddened at Jerry Lee Lewis’ death because he will no longer play that piano as no one else ever has. May he Rest In Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment