The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Being There…and Not Here

President Biden just spent a five-day family vacation in Ireland. I suppose he thought it a good time to get away from it all, to ignore all those pesky crises erupting across the globe, and to spend a little quality time with Hunter. 

I found it curious that the White House told the press the president hoped to enjoy his trip, so he would hold no press conferences or take any questions. If that’s so, why did the entire press corps bother to make the trip? Perhaps they, too, needed a little vacation in Guinness country. Or maybe they hoped the commander in chief might answer a few shouted questions about the quality of the fish and chips or whether Irish ice cream met his high standards. Such questions reveal the depth of investigative reporting focused on this president.

It’s would seem the president enjoyed himself, especially his time with his Irish counterpart, President Michael Higgins. I know little about the Irish president, but he seems to be a pleasant man with an infectious smile, although when standing alongside the tall Joe Biden, he looked a wee bit like a leprechaun. Of course, if you’re an Irish politician that might be a plus. 


Full disclosure: My roots are 100% Irish. Three of my four grandparents were born in Ireland, and my fourth grandparent was a second generation Irish-American. I can, then, appreciate the president’s desire to dig more deeply into his own Irish roots. Unlike many Americans of Irish descent, I have no particular love for Ireland, a nation that once kept the faith but today is largely faithless. I recall my father once being asked if he were proud of his Irish heritage. He responded with, “Not proud because I had nothing to do with it. But I am glad my ancestors left the blasted place and came here to America.” My parents were born in 1909 and my grandparents in the 1870s. Given how most poor Irish Catholics lived in those days, it’s no wonder they left their homes for the freedom and opportunity offered by the United States. For many of them, I suppose the old sod was indeed a “blasted place.” As for me, unlike most of today’s Europeans, I’m far more interested in celebrating my Christian roots.

Diane and I have visited Ireland only once, back in 2012. It was a delightful two-week trip, filled with castles, B&Bs, boutique hotels, charming pubs, friendly folks, remarkable scenery, and even an Irish Wolfhound named Mr. Higgins (no relation to the Irish president). And it was all made special because we traveled with our dearest friends, Nancy and Dave Lee. We also attended the Navy-Norte Dame football game played that year in Dublin. Despite the score, a wonderful time was had by all. 
Mr. Higgins Checking Out Diane

I hope the president truly enjoyed his Irish visit, although I think he could have spent those five days doing far more important things given the precarious state of the world. And unfortunately for Joe Biden, many of the problems faced by the United States today are directly attributable to his failed policies. Sadly, I don’t think he is aware of this, and it seems the leftist ideologues advising and guiding him seem quite pleased with the results of their work. If they intend to completely restructure our constitutional republic, and turn it into just another totalitarian state run by a cadre of inept elites, they’re well on their way. But I have faith in the American people, in their spirit, and in their love of freedom. I also accept that our God is in charge of His creation, and this nation and its people are certainly a part of it.

Pray for our nation, and pray for our world. And I can also still hope: Erin go brách.

No comments:

Post a Comment