The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, August 3, 2026

Catching Up

I know...it's been a while. But I've been a caregiver (a very small pat on the back) as Dear Diane makes her way through a difficult time medically. It's just ben one challenging series of problems after another, but we seem to be arriving at a good point in this strange progress. 

The poor girl has suffered much in recent months and, as I too often let her know, I been right there with her. I won't bore you with the medical issues, and Diane would be very upset if I focused on her, so I'll just say it's been hard for her and a joy for me. That's right...caring for her has been a true joy, something I never expected after almost 58 years of marriage. It calls to mind all the time she spent just doing everything for me while I was off flying in the Navy or traveling the world in my consulting work. Believe it or not, I was amazingly self-centered and just expected her to do everything. As I sit here today I realize how God reveals the truth to us, and does so in His time. Thank you, Dear Diane, and than you, Dear Lord.

Late this afternoon Diane was moved to the UF Health Rehab Facility on the fifth floor of our wonderful hospital here in The Villages. This is probably the best rehab facility, among many, in the area...so I am really pleased that she's there. We've been there before, know the staff, and love them all. 

Today was a bit strange. For many years, I have suspended my parish Bible Study for the summer months because we have so many "snow birds" among our parishioners. To appease the year-round locals, I always schedule a course in August. Some months ago, long before Diane encountered her current health issues, I scheduled a survey course on Ecclesiology beginning today. It will run for five 90-minute sessions on each Monday of August. I think the first session went well, even though I was remarkably unprepared. 

If you're interested in the course, I have included some course content -- PowerPoint and "handouts" -- on my parish Bible Study website. Here's the link: 

    www.catholic-scripture.com/courses

Just scroll down to view the info on the 2006 Ecclesiology Course.

Life goes on, folks. God is good and He prunes His olive trees as needed.

Blessings and God's peace...


No comments:

Post a Comment