The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Screaming Volcano

A radar image from space of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano has an eerie resemblance to Edvard Munch's famous and often stolen painting, The Scream. Ironically, Munch was inspired by the colorful skies that resulted from the Krakatoa eruption in 1883. In his diary at the time, Munch wrote, "I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

Each of the three craters in the radar image is 200-300 meters in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment