The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

St. Anthony Church, New Bedford, Massachusetts

Exterior of St. Anthony Church

Less than two weeks ago, on May 24, I and 20 of my brother deacons celebrated the 15th anniversary of our ordination as permanent deacons by then-Bishop of Fall River, Sean O'Malley. We were ordained in one of the largest and most beautiful churches in New England, St. Anthony of Padua Church in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Our ordination, May 24, 1997

Yesterday, while reading the latest issue of the National Catholic Register, I came across a wonderful article celebrating St. Anthony's 100th anniversary. I truly enjoyed reading about this remarkable church and its history, and expect you will as well. Here's the link: St. Anthony's Church Has Cathedral Proportions.

I've included just a few photos of the church. Visit the parish's website and view the "Virtual Tour" to get a true impression of the beauty of this church.

The nave of St. Anthony Church
How blessed we were to have been ordained at St. Anthony's.

Please keep me and my brother deacons in your prayers.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment