The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Commander-in-Chief?

I prefer not to get too political on this blog, except when I believe politics touches on moral issues in ways that need to be addressed. But today I'm making an exception. I simply could not overlook something the president said at the recent National Prayer Breakfast.

While praising an American serviceman of Haitian descent who was working aboard a hospital ship off the coast of Haiti, President Obama twice called him a "corpse-man". The man, of course, was a Navy corpsman, or medical technician. I find it hard to believe that an educated man who has risen to the position of president of the United States would not know how to pronounce corpsman. But what can one expect from someone who until he became president  quite likely never gave a second thought, and certainly never a positive thought, to those who wear the uniform of our nation. He was probably far too busy organizing communities to pay attention to those whose sacrifices guaranteed those communities' continued existence.

Navy corpsmen are the true unsung heroes of the naval service. Every U.S. Marine Corps unit has corpsmen attached, and these young heroes have far too often given their lives on the battlefield while tending to the wounds of marines. (I wonder if the president also pronounces the Marine Corps, Marine Corpse.)

I've included a clip of the video below:

No comments:

Post a Comment