The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why Beauty Matters

Some time ago I heard a lecture by Dr. Peter Kreeft, prolific author and professor of philosophy at Boston College, in which he discussed the idea of beauty and the sacred, particularly as they are encountered in the arts. Today, while browsing a few favorite websites I came across a video -- a one-hour BBC documentary -- entitled "Why Beauty Matters", in which English philosopher Roger Scruton addresses the same subject from a different perspective. The documentary is really quite good and is certainly worth watching, so if you can set aside the time, sit back and enjoy what Dr. Scruton has to say. It beats the evening news.



No comments:

Post a Comment