The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Administration's Attack on the Church

If you haven't heard or read about the Obama administration's recent decision to require Catholic organizations -- schools, colleges, hospitals, etc. -- to provide what are euphemistically called "women's health services" to all employees in their health-care plans, then you must have spent the past few weeks hiding in a cave. These services, which include artificial contraception, abortifacients, sterilization, etc., are, of course considered  morally abhorrent by the Catholic Church. President Obama and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius have decided to set aside the First Amendment of our Constitution and grossly infringe on the religious freedom of Americans in general and the Catholic Church in particular. This should disturb all Americans, regardless of their religious affiliation, but I'm particularly pleased to see our bishops rise up and condemn this decision.

I had intended to write more about this issue, but this morning, while checking of few of my favorite websites, I came across a wonderful video of Fr. Robert Barron addressing the subject. I've included it below and hope you'll take a few minutes to watch it.




In case you aren't familiar with Fr. Barron, he produced the magnificent video series, Catholicism, which I recommend highly both to Catholics who want to learn more about their faith and to others interested in the Catholic Church. Here's a direct link to his website: www.wordonfire.org.


I also suggest you watch the video of New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan addressing the same subject. Archbishop Dolan is also the President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. For some reason I was unable to embed the video in this post, but here's a link: Conscience Protection



No comments:

Post a Comment