The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, February 28, 2020

Videos: Morning of Reflection - Three Women

The parish's Council of Catholic Women asked me to conduct a Morning of Reflection -- really about a one-hour series of talks -- on Saturday, 22 February 2020. For a topic I chose to speak about three women: one from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament, and third from the Church. The women I chose were certainly not famous. Indeed, the two women from Sacred Scripture are unnamed, and the third is hardly well-known, and had her parents had their way, she might well have remained unnamed. But each of the three particularly manifested one of the three theological virtues: faith, hope, and love.

I have embedded videos of each of the three parts of my reflection below. Each talk is about 20 minutes long and was followed by a few minutes of silent reflection. For obvious reasons, I have edited out the periods of silence, and just included the talks. 

If I have time I will later add the complete text of each of the three talks.
____________________

Part 1 of the Morning of Reflection focuses on the FAITH of the Widow of Zarephath, who fed the prophet Elijah, as described in 1 Kings 17. A video of Part 1 follows:




_____________________

Part 2 of the Morning of Reflection focuses on the HOPE manifested by the "sinful woman" who approached Jesus at the home of Simon the Pharisee, bathes His feet with her tears, dries them with her hair, and anoints Him with precious nard, as described in the final verses of Luke 7. A video of Part 2 follows:




____________________
Part 3 of the Morning of Reflection focuses on the LOVE of God and neighbor shown by Blessed Margaret of Castello (1207-1320), a remarkable woman who suffered much and yet shared God's love with all whom she encountered. This year, on April 13, 2020, we will celebrate the 700th anniverary of Blessed Margaret's death at the age of 33.




____________________

Finally, I have added a video of our brief concluding prayer:




No comments:

Post a Comment