The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Hand Washing Catholic Style

I don't know about you, but I've never before washed my hands quite so much. I suppose those who've worked as professional dishwashers, might disagree, but for the rest of us...

This morning, browsing on the web, I came across the website, ChurchPop.com, and encountered something that made real sense. As I'm sure you have heard, we have been told to wash our hands frequently for 20 seconds, recommending that we sing (the melodically challenged may recite) the words to the song, Happy Birthday. Well, the Diocese of Dallas has come up with a far better recommendation: as you wash your hands, pray the Our Father. Hail Mary, and Glory Be. The process takes a bit longer -- about 45 seconds -- which I suppose is even better health-wise. 

But there are other benefits. As my mother used to tell my brother and me as she encouraged us to wash up: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Heaven knows, after 45 seconds of hand washing and praying, we should be a lot closer to our Lord. But even better, this revised hand-washing protocol also sends many more prayers heavenward. As you wash up, pray for those working tirelessly to protect us from this virus. Pray for those infected by the virus. Pray for those who are so fearful. Pray for those who, unlike us retired folks, can't stay home and must work to keep our society functioning. And pray for our nation and our world. Remember, too, the Lord told us repeatedly, "Fear not!" Faith and fear cannot coexist in the human heart, for fear is the enemy of faith. 

Thanks to the Diocese of Dallas, I've included below a pictorial version of this prayerful way of handwashing. You can also find it here: Catholic Handwashing.


And while I'm at it, our diocesan diaconate director included this prayer by St. Augustine in a recent email. Given the circumstances, I thought it appropriate:

Prayer for the Sick
(St. Augustine)

Watch, O Lord, with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give your angels charge over those who sleep.

Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest your weary ones.
Bless your dying ones.
Soothe your suffering ones.
Pity your afflicted ones.
Shield your joyous ones.
And for all your love's sake.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment