The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Voting and Viruses

Presidential Primary Voting. Yesterday I voted in the Florida Presidential Primary. I usually take advantage of early voting, but this year I had a nasty cold (fear not -- no fever or other coronavirus symptoms) and really don't like voting by mail. Fortunately, I felt much better yesterday, so I decided to go to my local polling site fairly early, at 8 a.m. It's at a nearby recreation center, only a couple of blocks from my house, but I was surprised by the nearly empty parking lot. As I entered the lobby I noticed the door opened automatically so I wouldn't have to touch door handles. I was greeted by a gentleman who directed me down the hall to one of the large meeting rooms. All the poll workers, probably about ten people, were wearing latex gloves. But most surprisingly, I was the only voter. After two people checked my photo ID against the voter registration list, another took me to a voting booth and handed me a ballot. I voted -- prolife, of course -- and took my completed ballot to another worker who showed me how to feed it into the machine that turns my little mark into a vote. I was then given one of those "I Voted" stickers and sent on my way. The whole process took about three or four minutes, and I never saw another voter.
I admit, being the only voter in sight was empowering. For a moment, a very brief moment, I felt almost dictatorial, as if my vote were the only vote that truly counted, as if I alone were deciding the future of our country, as if all those poll workers were there to protect my one, all-important vote. Of course this fantasy didn't last very long. Indeed, this morning's newspaper informed us that largely rural Sumter County, in which a majority of The Villages' population resides, had the highest voter turnout in the state: 40%. That's really quite high for a presidential primary in a largely Republican county when the incumbent is up for reelection and opposed by only a few unknown wannabes. (Okay, all of us from Massachuestts know Bill Weld, but that's why we'd never vote for him.) I suppose most folks voted early, some Republicans decided it was not a meaningful election, and others were concerned about possible coronavirus exposure. Anyway, to my knowledge I've never missed an election, so I've kept my record intact. 

Viral Weirdness. Believe me when I say that, despite my occasional comments about panic and pessimisn, I accept the severity of the coronavirus. Yes, it's becoming a global health threat and must be addressed, perhaps through rather draconian means. And yet, so much of our nation seems to be driven solely by fear, and to me, that represents a major change in how Americans have historically faced a common foe. 

I can honestly say that I have no fear whatsoever of the COVID-19 bug. First of all I'm a Christian and fear no evil. Anyway, how can I fear something with a name like that? To the layman this name -- like the N1H1 Virus that hit us in 2009 -- means absolutely nothing. If the CDC wanted to get our juices flowing from the start, maybe they should have given it a better name, something like "Wuhan Killer #1." It's far more mysterious since few of us know exactly where or what Wuhan is; it focuses the mind on the worst possible outcome;  and it tells everyone it's seriously prime time -- all in all, a much better, pay-attention name.

But despite the virus' name, I certainly believe in taking prudent precautions when it comes to dealing with it. To ignore this virus at my age would put my life in danger, but more importantly would threaten the lives of others with whom I come into frequent and close contact. As a member of the community I have an obligation to protect that community from a threat, especially if that threat could come from me.

But, again, as a faithful Christian, how can I fear? God's command -- Be not afraid -- fills Sacred Scripture, in both the Old and New Testaments. God knows that fear is the great faith-destroyer, and the destroyer of community. Fear is the work of Satan, the scatterer. The Greek word for the devil in the New Testament (diabolos) is translated as "the slanderer." But the word's two roots literally mean "to tear or throw apart" or "to scatter." This is what Satan does. He scatters, or tries to, while Jesus Christ unites. As Christians, then, we must strive always to unite, to do Christ's saving work, and never to divide or scatter.

I suppose it all boils down to our willingness to believe and live that which we constantly profess:
"We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose" [Rom 8:28]
"All things" covers the waterfront, doesn't it? It includes viruses and other evils that might plague us as individuals and as a people. The key, then, is to "love God" and to strive to do His will in our lives, to answer His call "according to His purpose." 

I'm often asked, "Why does a loving God allow such things?" We must, however, remember that evils like this virus, whether we call it COVID-19 or Wuhan Killer #1, will always be with us because of our fallen natures. Indeed, if God removed all evil from the world, we would lack that which makes us human. We would lack the ability to make a moral choice, because we'd be faced with no choice at all, and unable to choose the good. 

Let God strengthen your faith as He makes all work for good in your life today. You need only open the door and allow Him to enter. Let Him tell you how He is calling you to fulfill His purpose in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment