The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, November 16, 2020

One for Diane

In my last post I touched on a few poems I’ve long enjoyed and added a few words about how poetry has influenced me. Although I appreciate good poetry I am by no means a poet. On occasion, though, I pen a few verses, usually for a friend or to mark some family occasion. Most are attempts at versified humor and, although they might generate a few laughs, they're really pretty pathetic,. But every so often the muse strikes and asks me to get slightly serious and address something more meaningful. The quality is no better but they come from the heart.

Abut 10 days ago, while Diane and I were preparing lunch together, she suddenly collapsed and fell to the hard ceramic tile floor in the kitchen. She was unconscious for several minutes and the fall cut the back of her pretty head badly, ultimately requiring seven staples. A quick 911 call and the EMTs were with us. They took Diane to a local hospital, where they treated her head wound and gave her a CAT Scan. Because of possible neurological concerns, she was quickly transferred to Shands Hospital at the University of Florida in Gainesville, certainly among the best hospitals in Florida. When they moved her to the ICU, I was more than a little concerned. 
 
Although together now for 52 years, it’s too easy to forget there are fewer years ahead of us and we should cherish every moment. Not happy to be separated from her — COVID protocols limited the time I could spend with her — I took just a few minutes to write these lines of verse for Dear Diane while I waited for the gatekeepers to let me into the ICU. As I’ve already said, it ain’t great, but it came from within.

     To Be With Thee


How bleak a day can be

When I am not with Thee.

Though I set aside my fears, 

The hours yet pass like years. 


We’ve been as one so long

To be apart seems wrong.

So many times before,

Through each I’ve loved you more. 


In whom can I confide?

For Thou hast been my guide.

I need Thee here with me 

So I complete can be. 


I know there’ll be a day

When God calls one away.

But love alone empowers

And binds two hearts like ours.


We shall forever be

In love, yes, Thee and me.

__________________


To Diane, November 6, 2020

Fortunately, after four days at Shands, and every test the neurosurgeons could think of, she was released, presumably in good health. She's doing wonderfully and looks forward to having the staples removed this afternoon. Thanks to all for your prayers. God is so very good! Everything is a gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment