The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, November 30, 2020

Descending Into Democracy

Every once in a while I surprise myself. While observing the current political landscape, I happened to recall having written something a few years ago about the perils of democracy. I know...to most Americans this sounds like political heresy, but it's actually very much in tune with the thinking of our founding fathers. These brilliant, prescient men founded not a democracy but a constitutional representative republic designed to protect the people from both their government and themselves.

Somewhere in his wonderful work (I don't have the time to search for his exact words), Democracy in America, Alexis de Tocqueville, said, in effect, that only two types of equality can exist: the equality of all, or the equality of none. Once we chip away at the sovereignty of all, political power will ultimately be wielded by only one or perhaps a few. In speaking of the equality and sovereignty of all, he was not equating either to democracy, for democracy results in the grasping of power by the majority and if uncontrolled becomes only another form of tyranny.

After a brief search, I discovered I had posted these thoughts eleven years ago on December 30, 2009. Anyway, I thought it particularly applicable given what's been taking place in our country during the past decade. I won't repeat it all here since it's much easier simply to provide a link, should you be inclined to read it:

Democracy? No Way!

Pray for the U.S.A., folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment