The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

St. Edmund Campion


Today is the feast day of St. Edmund Campion, Jesuit priest and English martyr. He was a remarkable man, a man of extreme courage who was ultimately cruelly tortured and executed for his Catholic faith in Elizabethan England. You can read a brief overview of his life here, but to really get to know him I suggest you find a copy of Evelyn Waugh's wonderful biography, Edmund Campion, first published in 1946. I had to search in many used book stores to find my copy, but fortunately the book has been reprinted and is once again available new. Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment