The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent Mission & Soup Kitchen

Just a few random thoughts today...

Last evening I gave my talk at our parish's week-long Advent Mission and no one threw soft fruit and vegetables so I'm guessing it was received well. I can't speak for my own talk, but I can  speak for the two deacons who preceded me. They were wonderful and the fact that our parishioners have returned each evening is testimony to that. But it wasn't just the deacons. So many other people have helped to make this mission a success, particularly the readers and music ministers. We are truly blessed in our parish to have such enthusiastic, caring people who willingly give of their time and talent ad gloriam Dei. And I give special thanks to the Holy Spirit to whom we opened our hearts. He has been so generous with His heavenly grace this week.

Today, Thursday, was my day at the soup kitchen, but it just wasn't the same without Diane. My dear wife has been on a cruise in the Bahamas with a group of her girlfriends. They decided to take this little jaunt months ago when one of them came across a great deal for the five-day cruise on the proud ship, Norwegian Sky. I haven't heard a peep out of her since she boarded the ship in Miami, so I can only assume they have been enjoying themselves.

Unfortunately, because my brother is staying with us for a while, I couldn't simply abdicate all responsibility and do little or nothing in the way of household tasks until Diane returned. And so I have been forced into a not so subtle form of domestic servitude. I have had to cook meals, wash and dry clothes, fill and empty the dishwasher, wash and dry pots and pans, take out the garbage without being reminded...and on and on. I even vacuumed the rugs and carpets...not once, but twice! The world has been turned upside down! One might even consider these things as harbingers of some cataclysmic, cosmic event. I can only hope that Diane's return tomorrow will set things right once again.

We had an official "tornado watch" yesterday afternoon that was later extended until 4 a.m. today. I know some folks here in central Florida who are simply unable to go to bed when one of these severe storm watches are in effect. They worry that a storm will strike while they are asleep, and for some reason believe this is worse than one that might arrive while they are awake. Personally, I can't see a great deal of difference. And so I went to bed at the usual time and just asked the Lord to keep us safe as we slept. As a result I slept like the proverbial baby. With so many odd and dangerous things in the world, why add another cause for worry? Anyway, isn't that one of the reasons we pray?

And speaking of prayer and its positive results, our efforts to raise the funds needed to renovate the Wildwood Soup Kitchen and add a much-needed walk-in freezer and refrigeration unit are moving right along. People have been giving generously to the fund and I believe we are nearly halfway to our goal. The renovations and addition will enable us to operate much more efficiently and also more safely as we serve God's people. Praise God for His help in softening hearts (and opening wallets).

God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment