The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Life Returns to Normal...Sort of

Diane is back home! This is a very good thing. She had a wonderful time on her cruise and even brought me two Norwegian Cruise Lines t-shirts so people will think that I actually accompanied her. I have decided, however, that all will not return to its pre-cruise normalcy. I actually enjoyed cooking for my brother and me, so (with Diane's permission) I intend to prepare the evening meal at least twice every week. This will give the poor girl a needed break and help me advance my skills to a level where I feel confident enough to audition for the Food Network.

I'm also hoping to find my elder brother a nice local rental, so he will have his own place. He and I have an appointment to check out a nice two-bedroom home tomorrow which seems almost too reasonable to be true. It's also just a short distance from our home, maybe 15 minutes, so I can check in on him frequently. If it looks good and we decide it's the place for him, we'll have to spend a good part of the day shopping for the some basic furnishings. Sounds like a busy day. Please keep us in your prayers.

It was cold here in The Villages today, and it's even colder tonight. Right now it's in the low fifties and raining. For those of us who have been here long enough to get acclimated, this is downright freezing. No tornado watches tonight though, so there will be very little hand-wringing in central Florida.

Before I close, I'd like to pass along a book recommendation. If you've followed this blog for any length of time you'll know that I'm an Italian wannabe. I simply love Italy and Italians. Now there have been many excellent books written about the country and its people, but none can compare to The Italians, by Luigi Barzini. Although written in 1964 and, therefore, slightly dated, it's still the best book on the subject...and fortunately it's still in print. Barzini, who died in 1984, studied in the United States, was held in confinement by the Fascists throughout the war, and went on to be quite the man of letters. (I've included a photo of Barzini, above.)

I first read the book 25 years ago, but have no idea what became of my copy. It simply disappeared. A few days ago I spotted a copy in a book store, bought it, and have been rereading it with great pleasure. If you have never been to Italy and are considering a visit, read this book and you will be better equipped than 99% of foreign visitors. If you have visited Italy and left confused and dazed by both the culture and its people, read this book and all -- well, almost all -- will become clear. Click here for the Amazon link.

Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment