The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Nancy Pelosi: There She Goes Again

Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House and part-time theologian, just can't help herself. It seems that every time she discusses her supposed Catholic faith, she misrepresents Church teaching in favor of the inherent evil of abortion. In the course of a Newsweek interview conducted by Eleanor Clift, Pelosi was asked about her disagreements with the Church's bishops. She responded by saying:

“I practically mourn this difference of opinion because I feel what I was raised to believe is consistent with what I profess, and that we are all endowed with a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions. And that women should have the opportunity to exercise their free will.”

And once again, as a result of such uninformed and scandalous comments, her bishop, San Francisco Archbishop George H. Niederauer, was forced to correct her, lest these comments cause confusion among the faithful.

The archbishop responded by writing an article for his diocesan newspaper. It's well worth reading and can be found here: Catholic San Francisco: Archbishop's Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment