The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ralph McInerny, a postscript

For those who might not have been exposed to the teachings and writings of Dr. Ralph McInerny, who died Friday morning, I have included below a brief (8-minute) video clip of a lecture he gave on ancient philosophy.



Youtube video clips of brief portions of several other of Dr. McInerny's lectures can be found here: Youtube clips of Ralph McInerny 

Ralph McInerny wrote dozens of books, both fiction and non-fiction. His most recent, published just a few months ago, is well worth reading, particularly if, like me, you have a special love for Dante's Divine Comedy. The book, Dante and the Blessed Virgin, explores the prominent place of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Dante's great work. It is also a deeply philosophical book and, despite being Dr. McInerny's last published work, provides an excellent introduction to his writings.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the video. I tried meeting Dr. McInerny once when I was on the Notre Dame campus, but he happened to be away at the time. I always hoped I could revisit the university and try to look him up again. Now I'll have to content myself with knowing him only through his books.

    ReplyDelete