The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Before a Retreat

Yesterday I made reservations for Diane and me to attend our annual diocesan deacons' retreat scheduled for next month. I truly appreciate that our diocese here in Florida (the Diocese of Orlando) includes deacons' wives in all our retreats and continuing education weekends. That certainly wasn't the case in my previous diocese where I rarely felt the wives of deacons were fully appreciated. And I am confident the vast majority of married permanent deacons would agree that their wives have had a positive impact on their ministry, and that without their wives' love and support, that ministry would suffer greatly.

As I prayed my Morning Prayer this morning and added an intention for the success of next month's retreat, I couldn't help but recall past retreats. (My mind often wanders during prayer. In this instance Morning Prayer took and extra 15 minutes due to my mental digressions.) Anyway, most of the retreats in which I have taken part over the years have been wonderful experiences, times of valuable reflection and spiritual rejuvenation. But some few have left me spiritually cold and made me question the value of the time spent. Looking back on them now, I suspect that the perceived value of the retreat had less to do with the retreat master and more to with my attitude before, during and after.

This early morning realization led me to recall a poem I first read 10 or 15 years ago -- a poem I recommend everyone read before making a retreat. It was written by Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson (1871-1914), the English priest who was theologian, poet and novelist. Msgr. Benson is probably most famous for Lord of the World, an apocalyptic novel about the Antichrist and the last days. Benson, a convert to Catholicism, came from a rather distinguished Anglican family. His father was E. W. Benson, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and his two brothers, A. C. Benson and E. F. Benson, were also famous literary types.

The poem is entitled , "After a Retreat."
____________________

           After A Retreat

What hast thou learnt today?
Hast thou sounded awful myteries,
Hast pierced the veiled skies,
Climbed to the feet of God,
Trodden where saints have trod,
Fathomed the heights above?
     Nay,
This only have I learnt, that God is love.

What hast thou heard today?
Hast heard the Angel-trumpets cry,
And rippling harps reply;
    Heard from the Throne of flame
Whence God incarnate came
Some thund'rous message roll?
     Nay, 
This have I heard, His voice within my soul.

What hast thou felt today?
The pinions of the Angel-guide
That standeth at they side
In rapturous ardours beat,
Glowing, from head to feet,
In ecstasy divine?
     Nay,
This only have I felt, Christ's hand in mine.
___________________


Here's a wonderful website with links to Msgr. Benson's works: Benson Unabridged

God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment