The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Cardinal Ratzinger Wanted to be Vatican Librarian, Not Pope

Here's an interesting tidbit about the pope that I didn't know. Apparently before he was elected to the papacy the then-Cardinal Ratzinger had hoped that, after his long stint as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, he could take on the job of Librarian/Archivist of the Vatican Secret Archives. I'm sure many people would consider this a pretty boring job...but not me. The Vatican Secret Archives! Wouldn't you love to be able to spend a few months browsing through that collection of goodies? Of course I'd probably have to polish up my Latin a wee bit.

After learning about this secret ambition of the Holy Father, I feel an even closer connection with him. My wife and both of my daughters worked in either public or university libraries. One of my sons-in-law is a librarian at a prestigious New England prep school. And even I was, for many years, on the board of trustees of a local library on Cape Cod. Maybe I can leverage all this into a private tour of the archives on my next visit to Rome...Okay, probably not. Well, at least we can check out the Vatican Library online: click here.

The following is a brief video story on Cardinal Ratzinger's desired retirement job, now overcome by events.

No comments:

Post a Comment